- 4 ounces dried multigrain vermicelli or spaghetti, broken in half
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups bite-size broccoli florets (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced (not shredded) red cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick-size carrot pieces
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, dry-roasted
1 1/2 cups per serving
When you crave takeout but don’t want to load up on saturated fat and sodium, try this quick and crunchy meatless meal-in-one!
Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt and oil and adding the curry powder. Drain well in a colander.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients except the orange zest, stirring until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the orange zest. Set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 1 minute. Stir in the broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. Cook for 4 minutes, or until just tender-crisp, stirring frequently.
Transfer the pasta to a serving platter. Top with the broccoli mixture. Pour the sauce over all. Sprinkle with the peanuts.
Cook’s Tip: Adding curry powder to the pasta water not only imparts flavor but also provides a bright yellow color.