- ½ qt Bechamel sauce (recipe below)
- 1 lb Vermont white cheddar, grated
- ½ lb Grana Padana, grated
- 1 lb Whole milk mozzarella, shredded
- 1 box Macaroni or penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 5 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs or as needed
- 1/8 cup butter, room temperature
- 2-1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 quart milk
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Prego is a real gem in Rice Village…and much like the popular neighborhood trattorias of Italy! Indigenous ingredients come together in a splendid Béchamel Sauce you can make yourself – Bravo!
Prepare Bechamel and keep warm. Add to the sauce all of the cheddar and half of the Grana and salt and pepper to taste, mixing to melt and incorporate cheese. Add cooked pasta. Mixture will be wet and hot. Grease an 11×18 pan with butter and spread breadcrumbs evenly. Pour in pasta and top with remaining cheeses. Cook in a water bath at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Let cook slightly befire serving.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the flour until smooth. Continue stirring as the flour cooks to a light, golden, sandy color, about 3 or 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and slowly whisk in milk until thickened by the roux. Bring to a gentle simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue simmering until the flour has softened and no longer tastes gritty, approximately 7 to 10 minutes, then season with salt and nutmeg.