- 4 each 20 oz. pork shank
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Olive oil
- 2 each Yellow onions, diced
- 1 each Carrots
- 8 each Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup Vermouth
- 2 gallons Chicken stock
- 1 quart Veal stock
- 2 each Bay leaves
- 10 each Peppercorn
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 3 oz. Pork belly gremolata
- 9 oz. Baked Anasazi beans
- 1 cup Anasazi beans
- 1 cup Smoked bacon, diced
- 2 each Yellow onions, small dice
- 8 each Roma tomatoes, small dice
- 6 each Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp. Chili powder
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- ¼ cup Panko
- 1 lb. Pork belly w/ skin, lardon
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. Candied orange zest
Braised Pork Shank
Baked Anasazi Beans
Pork Skin Gremolata
It’s a meal made for enjoying in cooler weather! This specialty dish at Olivette was recently added to the menu, due to its growing popularity – and rarity. Braised lamb or veal shanks are much more common, so this is a real tender treat. Watch a live demonstration by Executive Chef Neal Cox for tips on how to cook this juicy morsel just right! Click here…
PROCEDURE (Braised Pork Shank):
- Season the pork shank with salt and pepper and lightly dredge them with the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot big enough to hold the shanks.
- Sear the pork shanks on all sides.
- Remove the shanks and add the yellow onions and carrots and caramelize.
- Add tomatoes and cook until broken down.
- Deglaze with vermouth and reduce until almost dry.
- Add the chicken stock, veal stock, bay leaves and peppercorn.
- Braise until the very tender, about 3 hrs.
- Turn off the heat, add the fresh thyme and let it infuse for 5 minutes.
- Put 1 each of the pork shank in a bowl. Garnish with a tablespoon of the gremolata.
PROCEDURE (Baked Anasazi Beans):
- Rinse the beans three times and soak in water overnight.
- Render the bacon until brown. Take 2 tablespoon of the bacon fat and reserve.
- Add the onions and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until completely broken down.
- Add the next eight ingredients and the beans. Bake until tender.
- Put panko breadcrumbs in a food processor and with the motor running add the reserved bacon fat. Top the beans with the breadcrumbs and bake until brown.
PROCEDURE (Pork Skin Gremolata):
- Put pork belly lardons in a pot and add 3 quarts of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the water evaporates and oil from the belly replaces it.
- Fry the lardons until crispy. Let it come down to room temperature then add the remaining ingredients.