- 4 large natural sea scallops
- 1 teaspoon habanero paste (recipe follows)
- 4 tablespoons cheesy grits (recipe follows)
- 4 tablespoons pineapple,vanilla bean,rum relish (recipe follows)
- 4 pinches micro cilantro
- 2 bunches green onion — green only chopped
- 1 whole habanero chile — stemed and seeded
- 1 whole bay leaf — crushed
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger — chopped
- 1/2 cup thyme — stems removed
- 5 cloves garlic — chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- sunflower oil
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups regular grits
- 3 1/2 cups grated cacciota or monterrey jack
- 8 scallions — thinly sliced
- kosher salt to taste
- to taste freshly ground pepper
PINEAPPLE VANILLA BEAN RUM RELISH
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger root — chopped fine
- 1/2 whole vanilla bean — split
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 1 small gold pineapple — peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper — diced fine
- 1/4 cup cilantro — picked
Leave it to Chef and owner Bruce Auden of Biga on the Banks to create a symphony of flavors for your tastebuds. This scallops dish with a jerk seasoning and pineapple salsa is delicious. Pair with a Riesling or crisp Sauvignon Blanc!
Rub scallops with habanero paste and grill over low heat until warm in the center. Allow about 4 minutes each side.
Place on top of a spoonful of grits, then top scallop with pineapple relish and extra liquid from the relish.
Sprinkle micro cilantro on top of the relish.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor adding enough oil to make a smooth paste.
In large, heavy saucepan, bring chicken stock to boil. Adjust to simmer. Add 1 tablespoon butter. When it has melted, begin to pour in grits, constantly whisking.
When grits are in, change to wooden spoon and stir until grits become thick and absorb the liquid. This should take from 7 to 10 minutes.
Remove saucepan from heat, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, scallions. Combine everything thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
Pineapple Vanilla Bean Rum Relish
Cook Ginger with olive oil and stir for 1 minute. Add rum and reduce by half. Add sugar and lime juice and continue cooking until the liquid turns to a syrup. Add pineapple and red pepper, simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, cool and then add cilantro.